The RTC secures and funds a variety of pedestrian projects, including expansion and improvement of the local sidewalk network, accessible pedestrian facilities services, and safe paths of travel to connect to transit. Example projects include:
The duties of the Elderly & Disabled Transportation Advisory Committee (E&D TAC) include reviewing and advising local jurisdictions and implementing agencies on pedestrian accessibility projects. In addition, there is a subcommittee of the E&D TAC focussed specifically on pedestrian issues.
Pedestrian Safety Work Group
The mission of this Work Group – a subcommittee of the E&D TAC (see above) – is to ensure safe and accessible pedestrian travel and access throughout the county for the benefit of all residents. The group has developed the following:
- Safe Paths of Travel final report (28MB pdf)for a 2009 Caltrans Environmental Justice grant including:
- Pedestrian Collision Maps 2005-2009
- Sidewalk Maintenance Report and Appendices – a report on improving the safety and accessibility of sidewalks in Santa Cruz County that identifies the respective jurisdiction and property owner responsibilities and practices for maintaining safe sidewalks
- Maintenance Standards for all 5 local jurisdictions
- Draft List of pedestrian deficiencies at Priority Origins and Destinations frequented by seniors and people with disabilities
Notice obstacles or hazards that may inhibit bike or pedestrian travel? Let us know by submitting a Hazard Report.
Access issues can include damage to or missing sidewalks and/or vegetation or other objects blocking the walkway.
Reports are forwarded to the appropriate jurisdiction for investigation and action.
- Community Traffic Safety Coalition
- South County Bicycle and Pedestrian Work Group
- Mission Pedestrian
Senior Transportation Planner